16 April 2010

Eliminating Background Images

Ed Godden is a professional photographer. He has 14 years of experience in sports and press photography. But he also likes to take photos of nature especially in a Rain forest. I read one of the lesson he taught in a Digital Camera magazine on taking photo at your own backyard. I find it interesting because although I have been in photography for two years, I have never thought of doing what he did. He taught us on being creative with our macro shot by eliminating background images.

It is simple. Unfortunately, I didn't have two items, a sturdy tripod and also a thick white cardboard. Anyway, I proceeded with my experiment. Feel free to comment yeah?


(This is the first shot I took. As you can see, there are background images)
(Then, I put a white A4 size paper. The best material will be a cardboard)
(Then, this is the result. I have a white background and I definitely can frame this photo up)

The last photo was edited through these editing tools:
1. Colour curve
2. Contrast Enhancement
3. Sharpening
4. Vignetting

17 Messages:

Norris Thomas said...

cool...lama dah u sik share hal2 photography...thanks...nice post today..

Anonymous said...

I like the end result! Nice and the white background makes it look all the more better.

Did you shoot with a macro lens? Beautiful details of the flower.

SJB aka SUELYN J-B. said...

wah..cool. Macam mahu cuba ni :D. Anyway, Thanks for sharing.

Bengbeng said...

i like the last shot. it is something i could try

Diane AZ said...

The last photo without background is elegant but I like the first image too.

Serene said...

Wow, beautiful picture!!

mNhL said...

Actually I prefer the 1st one with blury background. I have very limited photography knowlegde. Maybe that's the reason I can't see the beauty of the transformed. haha....but good effort.

Naomi said...

it has different feel if a small change. Took it with Macro or no?

Bengbeng said...

hi willie ref yr hotel comment, i dont think there r any 5 star hotels in Sibu at the moment but RH Hotel is new and Tanah Mas is also right in the centre of town. Personally I would prefer Kingwood for its gym n pool.

Pete said...

Ah, nice to create a contrast to make the photo more interesting!

cyrildason said...

Nice. Now I have a new technique :-)

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Norris :Ya kah bro. Ok thanks.

MeiTeng :Thanks. I did try with the Macro function. I think it has a different.

SJB :Cuba, jgn tak cuba bah. Nanti menyesal bah...

Cina :Aduh, ngak ku faham kata kata mu itu.

BengBeng :We need to learn from others. Hahah

Diane :Oh really? U love the first one too? Cool...

Serene :Thanks.

MnHL : Hmmm...maybe yeah?

GhostyNana :Yes. I used a standard lense but used the macro function.

BengBeng Thanks for the Info. Once I am there, you must belanja me makan. Hahah

Pete :Thanks bro.

Cyril :You should try with your digicam. It is possible bro.

Marlene said...

If I may eliminate the background images, I will just use Photoshop, hehee! Though I like the faded background, it reveals the motiv more significantly.

James Kabaq said...

Cool bro. Thanks kerana berkongsi. Pas tok boleh lah try

carolchs said...

Macam dlm studio :)
Thnx for the tip.
Initially I thought you were gonna share something about using photoshop to eliminate the background. :)

Icy BC said...

I am all for the first picture with natural background image.

Ayie said...

heheh i'll just do it in photoshop =P